Monday, April 7, 2014

Urine In Your Cosmetics?


By Sandy DeRose, Natural Beauty Advocate

I rewound the DVR because I couldn’t believe my ears.
The commercial for my local news was saying to stay tuned as the FBI investigates counterfeit cosmetics.
We’ve all heard about counterfeit watches, purses, money – but cosmetics?
This was crazy to me.
I listened to the broadcast and learned that the cosmetic counterfeits encompassed everything from shampoo, hairsprays, moisturizers, serums, makeup, eye shadow, lipstick and even perfume.

The scary part is that the products have been found to contain arsenic and even urine.
So now in an already toxic, chemical-laden industry we have more to watch out for than ever before.
Why Should You Care?

I haven’t always cared about what was in my cosmetics. Trying to figure out what's in my products, quite frankly, gave me a headache. I would start to feel exhausted and defeated.
I started to care when I learned that it went beyond my vanity products. And it affected much more than just me.
When you hear the phrase “Toxic Cosmetics” you need to know it covers more than makeup. It includes body washes, soap, bubble bath, shampoo, conditioner, hair gels, hairspray, sunscreen, etc.. Basically anything you use to groom yourself.
I remember when I became concerned. It was many years ago when I bought this shampoo my son begged me for.
Again, a warning on the local news left me investigating.
I found out that it contained MIT (Methylisothiazolinone). An ingredient used as a preservative. It happens to be a neurotoxin and kills brain cells. And I was putting it on my seven-year-old's head.
I can’t believe that the FDA thinks it's okay to put this in my child’s shampoo. It’s not okay for my shampoo either.
I also learned that we are not only putting toxins in our body, but when we shower the chemicals get into our environment.
What’s even more surprising is that there are no laws or regulations for personal-care-product labels. Anyone can claim a product is “Natural” or “Organic”.

What Can You Do?

Because I don’t want you to feel defeated like I once did I have compiled a list of the most toxic chemicals in alphabetical order. Click here to print the list and keep it in your purse.
I also came across two free apps that let you scan a product's UPC code and give you a rating. The apps are new, so the database of products is still growing. But they are still worth downloading.
  • Skin Deep® – available for iPhone and Android. Created by EWG – Environmental Working Group. A non-profit, non-partisan environmental health research advocacy organization. Standing up to the government to protect us for the last twenty years.
  • Think Dirty™ – available for iPhone. A non-partisan company that has teamed up with the Breast Cancer Fund and its campaign for safe cosmetics. This app rates your products and gives you the levels of toxicity.
And for those counterfeit cosmetics this is what the FBI had to say and what to look-out for:
Indicators of Counterfeits
  • The packaging differs slightly from the authentic brand (might be a different color or different lettering on the product), and/or the product’s wrapping appears haphazard.
  • The product is being advertised as a “limited edition” even though the authentic manufacturer doesn’t offer it as a limited edition.
  • The price is either slightly or drastically lower.
  • For cosmetics, the product’s consistency or texture just doesn’t feel or look like the authentic brand.
  • For fragrances, there’s something a little off about the scent, and the color of the fluid in the bottle might be different than the original.
  • For both products, they’re being sold at non-authorized retailers, including flea markets, mall kiosks, and over the Internet.1
Arm yourself with the knowledge. Be educated and be a savvy consumer. We’ll do it together!
To a More Beautiful You,

Sandy DeRose
Natural Beauty Advocate

P.S. I would love to hear from you! Send me your questions, comments or topics you would like to read or know about. I’m here for you!
1. FBI (2014, January 2). Hazardous to Your Health. Fbi.gov. Retrieved March 16, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment